bluetooth adapter

Discussions about the Alpha-400 sub-notebook

bluetooth adapter

Postby debar14 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:56 am

I was here a while back when I 1st got my 400. That was when I wasn't sure how to set up mt wifi adapter. Now I know how to. I even know that I need to upgrade the WIFI adapter to get better reception. I was thinking of gettting another netbook (either a EEE, Acer Asper one, or a Lenovo S Idea pad) with Windows XP home on it.

Why WXP home? Only because I want to add a bluetooth adapter to my 400 but I thought my version on my 400 was out of date.

Then I found a co that has many software updates for it's version of the Alpha 400. Included in the site is an upgrade of the kernal.

What I want to know is, has anyone did a kernal upgrade yet? Has anyone also added a bluetooth adapter to their Alpha 400?

If anyone has done that, Please tell me what you did, and which adapter did you use?

Hope everyone has had a great week!

Rob
debar14

Re: bluetooth adapter

Postby Trygve » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:11 am

Where did you find that kernel upgrade?

As for other netbooks, I also have the original netbook(Psion netBook), the Asus Eee 900, and quite a few from before the concept was thought out...
The Linux on the Eee is OK. OpenOffice is OK, but different from, and more resource-hogging than AbiWord on the Alpha-400. Battery life, though, isn't any better... (But you can buy extra batteries, and even high-capacity batteries) Haven't tried any BT equipment on it, though.
I wouldn't run WinXP on it, as it frankly doesn't have what it takes...

For that kind of work I use my(well, the office owns it, but I use it) HP nc2400 12" laptop.
Bigger than the Eee, but the weight is the same, and battery time is 6Hours.
(This is an expensive bit of kit... really expensive... Probably time I upgraded to the nc2510p soon... )

Edit:
Was it on http://www.cnmlifestyle.com/ you found the Kernel update?
Trygve
Über Geek

Re: bluetooth adapter

Postby Trygve » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:38 pm

I've now added the Kernel update to my Alpha-400.

Except for a new splash-screen at boot, I can't see any differences.
(Doesn't mean there aren't any, though)

There may be a few SW differences between the standard Alpha-400 and the model sold at that site because I also downloaded and installed a few other programs, and except for the Nedit editor and the patience and Matience games, the rest failed to start. (And that includes the GWBasic system, unfortunately. )

As for BT...
I don't know if the drivers are IN the kernel or not, but even if they were, you'd still need some sort of front-end program to enable the connections.
Trygve
Über Geek

ok, my next question.....

Postby debar14 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:55 pm

Ok, so loading the new kernal helps...

Next question.

I recently found out that you can ad software to a Nokia cell phone to make it a 'wifi hotspot' I tried it out, it works, but now I have to create a peer to peer type set up (or as it was refered to as an 'adhoc' set up) with my Nokia (e90) using wifi and using the wifi on my A400.

How exactly do I set it up?

wireless lan - wlan setting - I check off the box for ad-hoc-host ..... then I ????

Anyone know what to do next?

Rob
debar14

Return to Alpha-400