[Top view][Side view][Side view. 2][Side view. 3][Front, open][Bottom]
|It's rather incredible, fitting a sliding keyboard, a LCD screen, 2 AA cells and CF-Card into such a small package.|
This beautiful machine was my main PDA, and therefore main computer, for several years, and no wonder why, either.
2 x1.5V AA
6V DC in
|Production year: 1997||OS: EPOC/Symbian|
|Type: PDA||Speed: 18MHz|
|RAM: 8MB||ROM: 6MB||Display: None|
A powerful 32bit pre-emptive multitasking OS, fully WYSIWYG wordprocessor and spreadsheet, a decent database program, an Agenda program that is just awesome in the fact that it is both so very flexible and easy to use that no other can compare to it. (With the possible exception of the Agenda on the PsionS3 series)
This, coupled with a battery life of up to 30Hours on two alcaline AA cells, and the possibility to store files on CF-Cards or beam them to other computers made the whole industry sit up and take notice.
Of the 8MB RAM (it also came in a 4MB version, which was discontinued rather soon) about 1MB is used by the OS and automatically created files. The rest is shared between running programs and user files. And unlike many other machines, there was no need to define a 'RAMdisk'.
The touchscreen membrane is slightly larger than the LCD, to encompass the icons at either side of the screen.
As nothing is ever perfect, these machines, too, had their faults. The ribbon-cable connecting the screen to the mainboard has a flaw which tends to make it break at a certain point(usually, the backlight disappears first), the hinges holding the screen in place are weak and prone to breaking, and the lock holding the stylus in place could jam. (Easily fixed)
In addition, the casing had a thin outer layer which tended to peel, but many thought it looked better if they scraped it off, anyway.
Got any comments? Write them here:
- Comments will not be visible until I manually OK them.
- You don't need to give an email address if you don't want to. But if you do, you decide whether or not it is visible. (No addresses will be given to third-parties, it's only there to make it easier for me to get back to you)
- This script WILL log your IP adress.
- Profanities, 'L337' speak, links to unrelated stuff like Pr0n and online gambling will result in your IP being banned, a message being sent to your ISP and anything else nasty I can think of...
- Suspicious HTML in the comments field will also cause me to give you hell.
- While I don't have any user registration here, that's no reason to use a 'nick' belonging to someone else.