|The Epson PX-4; beautiful, isn't it?|
The Epson PX-4
6V DC in.
4 x 1.2V/500mAH Ni-cad pack
4.8V /50mAh Ni-cad
|Production year: 0000||OS: CP/M|
|Type: Laptop||RAM: 64KB|
|ROM: 32KB||Display: Internal LCD||Resolution: 40 x 8chars|
So, what's this then?
Produced in 1985, it looks superficially like the older HX-20, but when you start looking, there's a few differences.
- 'Mini-Jack': BCR (Bar code Reader)
- 'Mini-jack': SP (Speaker?)
- 5pins 'PS/2' connector : Cassette interface.
- 8pins 'PS/2 lookalike' : Serial.
- 8pins 'PS/2 lookalike' : RS-232.
- 20pins (2x10) : Printer.
- 50Pins (2x25) : Expansion bus.
Upper Right corner: 30pins(2x15) for a small printer or other module. Possibly even a RAM or ROM pack.
Lefthand side: A RAM Disk can be connected on the expansion bus. Se separate page.
B: and C: drives. these are slots for ROM modules beneath the machine.
Other details that you will notice is that the screen is hinged, there are small feet in the back of the machine to give it a tilt, the keyboard can easily be removed just by removing 3 screws(No cable, just a pressure based connector), and that this machine have a VERY recessed RESET switch.
The mini printer have a 8049 microcontroller and a 2KB ROM. That is NOT usual in these types. They are usually just 'dumb' interfaces that the computer must control by itself. What made the designers decide on stuffing a dedicated processor in the printer? (Not that I'm complaining. :-)
Got any comments? Write them here:
- Comments will not be visible until I manually OK them.
- You don't need to give an email address if you don't want to. But if you do, you decide whether or not it is visible. (No addresses will be given to third-parties, it's only there to make it easier for me to get back to you)
- This script WILL log your IP adress.
- Profanities, 'L337' speak, links to unrelated stuff like Pr0n and online gambling will result in your IP being banned, a message being sent to your ISP and anything else nasty I can think of...
- Suspicious HTML in the comments field will also cause me to give you hell.
- While I don't have any user registration here, that's no reason to use a 'nick' belonging to someone else.